Asthma affects millions of Americans and is the most common chronic disease in childhood. Left untreated, asthma can keep you from enjoying even simple activities. When you are managed and treated appropriately you can gain control of your asthma and enjoy a better quality of life.
Asthma can bring about chronic coughing, wheezing and trouble breathing by causing your airways to swell, narrow and produce too much mucus. Most cases begin in childhood or the early adult years, but asthma can develop at any age. Asthma symptoms can range from mild to life-threatening depending on the patient.
Symptoms of Asthma:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Chest pain
- Difficulty exercising
Triggers for Asthma
- Environmental allergies – pollen, mold, pet dander, cockroach particles
- Cold air
- Irritants such as smoke and strong scents
- Acid reflux
- Respiratory infections
- Certain medications like beta-blockers and aspirin
Treatment Options for Asthma:
- Prevention – Following up on your allergy testing results, we can help you avoid exposure to specific allergens that trigger your asthma
- Treating medical conditions – We can treat heartburn (acid reflux), sleep apnea, respiratory or sinus infections, and help you maintain a healthy weight since being overweight typically worsens asthma symptoms
- Pharmacotherapy – Medications can help control your inflammation and frequency of asthma attacks, and we also prescribe medications that give you quick relief during an attack
- Allergen immunotherapy – Allergy injections help desensitize your lungs to your unique triggering allergens, to reduce lung inflammation and symptoms
If you would like to learn more about how Relief Allergy & Sinus Institute can help you get your asthma under control, request an appointment today online or call (630) 513-1691.